Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Working and Playing

So I'm still working hard on trying to get my PhD and answer the big questions in the Delayed Photon Analysis that will be my thesis. However, I couldn't miss the opportunity to go and see my brother who is currently studying at the University of Minnesota, home of the Golden Gophers!

My brother isn't involved in the "hard" sciences...although the subject material he is studying is very difficult and something I could never do. He is in graduate school in the field of Political Science.

I've commented before about the nature of the work I do and the questions I am trying to answer...however the details I have to leave purposefully vague since it is research in progress and quite frankly we don't know the final answer ourselves.

One aspect of my research that I wanted to comment about and is relevant to my travels is the fact that the questions and methods require LONG periods of intense thought and work to produce very simple pictures that "Tell the whole story"

A very good example is this plot just recently finished by Eunsin Lee in the PRL version of his Search for Supersymmetry in the Di-Photon + MET channel. This plot took 2 YEARS to complete and endless nights and days of pouring over ideas, code, and data!
And this is where I am now...trying to put together the few figures that will tell the story of my search for Delayed Photons in the Exclusive Photon + Missing Transverse Energy...and it takes some time.

Now my brother is in his first year of graduate school and still completing course work. Like when I was there, this means he spends endless days and nights in the library and in the office pouring over texts and writing papers. So, I can think of no better place to be for a week to get some intense work time with someone who has the same schedule and time dominated tasks. Not to mention we both share a love of knowledge and will be able to learn and exchange great thoughts. Lets hope that by the end I'll have the answer to the data question and have learned some great political thought from this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment