Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Fermilab Triathlon!!!



















This year I am participating in the Fermilab Triathlon put on by the Graduate Student Association of Fermilab.
This is their 9th annual event, however my first (last year I went to Thailand during this event).
The event is broken into three parts as followed:
  • 800m Swim in the FNAL pool.
  • 20km Bike on an out and back loop on FNAL roads (see below for race route).
  • 5km Run on a great loop course consisting of both paved roads and prairie paths (see below for race route).
What has me excited about this is that I am a terrible swimmer...but the chance to get to do it in a pool in the relaxed environment of the Fermilab Village. Then it is on to a bike path that I've ridden a number of times including a loop around the accelerator ring and then a jog around the lakes and houses in the Village where I got to live and run for an entire year.

Now since this is my first serious race of this sort I'm not expecting to do very well...in addition I am riding a my fixed gear bike....there is no way I can beat someone who is on a serious race bike...but I'll bet I make someone look twice at how much they spend on their bike!
Even more than all of this...the GSA puts this on FOR FREE! All you need is a Fermilab Id and the willingness to have some fun!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this! It will be my first time doing it, and my first triathlon ever. After a couple months of training I can swim and cycle well enough to finish, it's the run that scares me! I'm still very much looking forward to it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete