Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My recent bike project

So a very good friend of Heather and I's (see her blog here) has graciously agreed to be our "day of" planner for the upcoming wedding. This is such a huge task to take on and we are so grateful because she is doing this out of just kindness and a good heart. Said differently, she is asking no monetary compensation...amazing!

Heather and I (as I've commented before on this blog about our Neighborhood friends) have enjoyed a good life with amazing friends along the way. This most recent event with Mairead and Sham helping organize our wedding, letting me live in their house, spending endless hours helping with projects and hanging out is just another chapter in what I would call "our good friends".

So when Mairead came to me awhile ago with an old Nishiki that her mother had that was...shall we say...in less than great shape and asked if I could help her out...I couldn't say no. Not to mention this gave me a great chance to test out my bike mechanic skills and build something beautiful.

 
The modifications weren't that big of a deal...but the work needed to be done! So we decided to convert it into a fixie/singlespeed. Replaced the crankset, brake handles and cables, new set of wheels, new handle bar tape, some new brake calipers, and a deep clean.
I have to say I am proud of the finished product



With a clean set of White Deep V's and some baby blue this bike really sparkles...and runs like a dream. I did a blue/white 1/8" chain combo and she runs great!
I learned a lot during this job (I hate doing breaks!!!!) and if I had to do it over again I would change my approach and focus on getting the paint job first and done early. But for a job for a friend and a learning experience I have to say...good deal!
Building a new Neighborhood isn't just about bikes, fun, and favors...but is also about life and doing for others and spending time doing what you love. Sham and Mairead teach me this every day and I am looking forward to a fun wedding coming soon

2 comments:

  1. what a lovely post! and i'm soooooo excited for the wedding! as is sham. last night before we fell asleep, he was all: "heather and jonathan are getting married MAY FIRST", totally shocked and excited that it's already coming up so soon.

    p.s. sham is going to help me remember to keep my phone on SUPER LOUD when i am out of work, plus i'm giving heather and your numbers an awesome ring tone so that i hopefully don't miss any of your calls--if actually answering my phone isn't a sign of my deep dedication to you two, i don't know what is!

    can't wait until my dream helmet comes and i can start using my dream bike regularly! seriously, just in time for spring and summer and farmers markets and more! and i'm so glad you all will be around to enjoy these things with us for sure for a while now. our diabolical plan all along!

    thank you so so so much again. you should be proud--it is BEAUTIFUL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice bike.
    After riding fixed gear for this last year of school and having a few close calls riding brake less I decided to sell the bike. Ended up getting a Kona. Its good for commuting and now I'm wanting to drop back to one gear but keep the brakes. I'm impressed with those that ride fixed and can really stay in control at all times.

    Thanks for the comments on the pictures.
    Darren

    ReplyDelete