Sunday, September 19, 2010

Urban Assault Chicago 2010

Last weekend my wife and I competed for the third time in the New Belgium Brewery Urban Assault Bike Race. Did I mention we wore banana outfits!
It was a super fun race once again and really well organized.








I've got the map of the ride shown here:


View Urban Assault 2010 in a larger map
My only complaint I have about the whole race was the second mystery clue which read as follows:
GiRL
smILeS
NeEDEd 
It was clearly an anagram which was meant to tell you to find the next check point. However, in the heat of the race and the pseudo-colors which turns out didn't mean anything we never did decode it. So we missed out on finding the final check point...but even with that we ended up pretty good in the race times finishing 52nd in the Co-ed division (out of 102) and 127th overall (out of 170) These numbers are a little skewed since our time was really fast but we end up lower because we didn't find one of those beads!

After the race we hung out, Heather drank beer (me not drinking gives her extra tokens), got all the free cliff bars I could handle, and got to compete in their fun side games.
One such game was for only the bearded/mustache men and was to entice the crowd for applause by demonstrating our dancing skills.

Now as any of my friends/relatives/acquaintances/near by observers will tell you I suck at dancing! But something about a 2 hour bike race + banana costume make me forget this fact and I just went after it.

Now my skills didn't impress too many, but the banana costume must have and I won a gift certificate for the effort and Heather's adoration for being such a big buffoon.
All in all, a great race on a beautiful day put on by a wonderful company done with the most wonderful bike partner I could even want, my wife!
To give credit these photos are online from the photographer at the race Harlerz Photography.

p.s. The solution to the anagram was Dillenger and you were suppose to go the Biograph Theater at 2433 North Lincoln Avenue (which was ridiculously close to the start of the race...we could've won this for sure), but a good time was still had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment